These issue briefs cover economic issues in the DPRK, as well as US appropriations relevant to the DPRK.
- FY 2009 Budget Request
- Although details on the new fiscal year budget request are incomplete, the Department of Energy posted its full budget justification, including several references to continuing work with the DPRK on disablement, dismantlement and verification of nuclear programs in North Korea. The State Department has also posted budget request highlights.
- FY 2010 Defense Authorization Act [PL 111-084] CR 111-288
- This document lists the mentions of North Korea in the FY 2010 National Defense Authorization Act (PL 111-084, became law on October 28, 2009) and Conference Report 111-288 to accompany H.R. 2647, published on October 7, 2009.
- Macroeconomic Statistics and the DPRK
- This NCNK Issue Brief gives a snapshot of key economic indicators and trade statistics for the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. Because the DPRK provides insufficient primary data, statics must be generated through “mirror statics.” However, not all statistics are created equal: the assumptions, methods and sources used vary from one data provider to another. In 2009, Dr. Mika Marumoto authored a report for the “Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Economic Statistics Project,” a project of the U.S.-Korea Institute of the School for Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University. The Statics Project Report is intended as a “user’s guide;” this NCNK Issue Brief was created with the report’s recommendations in mind. Last updated December 21, 2009.
- Mt. Kumgang and Inter-Korean Relations
- This Issue Brief, last updated November 10, 2009, provides an overview of the Mt. Kumgang Tourism Project. Please see the accompanying time line of significant meetings and events related to the tourism project.
- Omnibus Appropriations Act and Defense Authorization Act, 2008
- This document lists the mentions of the DPRK in the FY 2008 Omnibus Appropriations Act and the 2008 Defense Authorization Act.
- Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009
- This document lists the mentions of North Korea in the FY 2009 Omnibus Appropriations Act.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1874
- This NCNK Issue Brief reviews the history of the adoption UNSCR 1874, comparing it with UNSCR 1718. It also discusses implementation, referring to the Expert Panel Reports for 2010 and 2011.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1718
- This issue brief provides information on UNSCR 1718 adopted October 2006. For more resources, see http://www.ncnk.org/resources/news-items/1718resources/